Thursday, July 29, 2010

Stream Study #4

Here's the last painting I did on the trip ...



"Stream Study IV"
Pastel
9x12












In all painting it's important to simply.  I found it particulary important and difficult simplifying paintings of streams with rapids because of the complex interrelationship between the objects.  The rocks shape the water, and the water (over time) shapes the rocks.  If one removes of relocates a rock all the surrounding objects are impacted.

My goal is to get comfortable enough with the subject to be able to arbitrarily move elements around in order to arrive at a more compelling composition. In each of these paintings I took successively more and more liberty is altering the scene - but this is much more complex than altering an ocean seascape scene given the complexity of the layers.  I sense there is a lifetime of work to pursue here :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment